Blackwell’s eBook FAQs
- How do I receive the book from you - do you send me a link?
- Can I return an eBook?
- Can I get a refund for an eBook purchased in error?
- Can I copy or forward an eBook to another computer?
- Can I print off copies from an eBook download?
- What is DRM?
- What is an ACSM File?
- Can I download an eBook to my iPad or iPhone?
- What happens if I am unable to download my eBook?
- What happens if my firewall is preventing the download from taking place?
- How do I log a support case with Adobe?
- Can eBooks in PDF format be read by a normal PDF reader such as Adobe Reader?
- Can I order more than one eBook on the same order?
1. How do I receive the book from you - do you send me a link?
When a book is ordered online, once it is paid for and authorised, a link is sent by email by which the book can be downloaded. Please Note - The link may take up to 1 hour to come through in some circumstances.
2. Can I return an eBook?
All eBooks are firm sale, and as such cannot be returned. Our eBook supplier advises that once an eBook link is generated they are charged by the publisher for the eBook regardless of whether it is ever downloaded or not, therefore we are sorry to advise we cannot provide a refund for eBooks purchased.
3. Can I get a refund for an eBook purchased in error?
All eBooks are firm sale, and as such non-refundable. Our eBook supplier advises that once an eBook link is generated they are charged by the publisher for the eBook regardless of whether it is ever downloaded or not, therefore we are sorry to advise we cannot provide a refund for eBooks purchased.
4. Can I copy or forward an eBook to another computer?
- You can transfer eBooks onto up to 6 (authorised) machines.
- Your eBooks are protected if your computer should break For more information, visit Digital Editions help.
- NB You must ensure that ADE is installed and authorised on the original PC. ADE must then be installed on the other PCs or devices and authorised WITH THE SAME ID & PASSWORD before the eBook can be downloaded again.
5. Can I print off copies from an eBook download?
Due to DRM (Digital rights management) the option to print is limited and the owner of the eBook may be able to print several pages but will be unable to print a full hard copy of an eBook you have purchased online. eBooks are generally designed to be read on your PC or eReader only - the download limits and the restrictions applied within each books' DRM are set by the publisher concerned. Although up to 6 PCs can have the same eBook downloaded, printing rights can vary so that not all of them can print. The printable quantity is controlled by ADE.
6. What is DRM?
DRM stands for "Digital Rights Management". They are the controls/limitations/restrictions that a publisher has placed against a particular title. In theory these controls could be used to limit the number of times an eBook can be read, how many pages can be printed, and what devices and/or software systems are able to read it etc. (etc.) In reality, most publishers have chosen a fairly loose set of controls that amongst other things restrict the number of times that the eBook can be downloaded and a limitation on how much of the book can be printed off. The download limits, and for that matter the restrictions applied within each books' DRM is set by the publisher concerned.
7. What is an ACSM File?
This is the shortcut link to the download. It is created when the user has not downloaded and installed Adobe Digital Editions. When the user has downloaded and installed ADE, it will automatically then pick up the pdf file and place it in their "library".
Our ePub eBooks are compatible to be side-loaded to most eReaders.
9. Can I download an eBook to my iPad or iPhone?
- Due to the Adobe DRM you will not be able to put this file directly on your iPad/iPhone as the eBook is not a standard PDF - it is DRM wrapped, and as such can only work with eReader software capable of reading DRM'd eBooks.
- In order to read your eBooks on your iPad, our technical team advise they use an eReader called Bluefire as it can download and read many formats and is usually a trouble free process.
Download and perform a simple install Bluefire Reader version 1.2 or higher on your iOS device from www.bluefirereader.com.
- Bluefire Reader is a free application that can be found on the Apple App Store.
Instructions are included with Bluefire for copying files but customers must remember to authorise 'Bluefire' with their Adobe ID.
- If you wish to download direct to your iPad then simply follow the advice above but if you wish to download onto a Windows PC you will need to transfer the file to the iPad. There are a few ways to do this, Windows Explorer and Dropbox being the easiest. 'Drop box' is also relatively trouble free and simple to use.
10. What happens if I am unable to download my eBook?
Please ensure you have the current version of Adobe Digital Editions installed. Please email customer services with the order details and any error messages generated, also at what stage of the download the message is appearing. Your query will then be passed on to our technical team and a response advised in due course.
11. What happens if my firewall is preventing the download from taking place?
It may be that your machine is preventing the download from completing - sometimes this is caused by the firewall on your computer. If the computer belongs to a school/college or a business, would you please ask your IT to create an exception within the firewall for port 8080 and then attempt to download.
12. How do I log a support case with Adobe?
If you need further assistance from Adobe Digital Editions, you will need to contact Adobe direct and log a support case. To do this you will need to visit http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/faq/ and contact Adobe direct.
13. Can eBooks in PDF format be read by a normal PDF reader such as Adobe Reader?
The eBooks supplied in pdf cannot be read by a normal pdf viewer. They are DRM'd and require Adobe Digital Editions or a compatible mobile device (or its accompanying library software) to view them.
14 Can I order more than one eBook on the same order?
We recommend that you only order one eBook at a time to ensure that the links are sent as quickly as possible. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.